Saturday, April 27, 2013


Museum of Franco-American Cooperation. First opened on the grounds of the Château of Blérancourt (which had been the headquarters of Anne Morgan's CARD) after the death of Anne Murray Dike, the museum eventually expanded to include a Pavilion of the Volunteers, opened in September of 1938, which celebrated the work of both the American Field Service and the Lafayette Escadrille.  World War 2 saw this little national museum "fall asleep" until Pierre Rosenberg, curator at the Louvre, "woke it up" again---- now with an emphasis on artwork.  To do this, he enlisted the help of a new group, The American Friends of Blérancout, which supplemented the work (and the funding) of the old "Amis de Blérancourt."   The Volunteer Pavilion was transformed into the Florence Gould Pavilion, featuring the artwork of American artists who had studied in France and French artists who had worked in America. The old AFS exhibitions were now moved to the basement area, still featuring "Hunk 'o Tin".   Outside, an area was dedicated to the memory of AFS:  the "jardin du souvenir", dominated by the bust of its founder, A. Piatt Andrew.


Post a Comment

<< Home